Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Thing 4: RSS/NewsReader

Yesterday I set up and account at Bloglines because I already have a GoogleReader account. I think there's a lot available at Bloglines, so much that it kind of freaked me out. I also had trouble figuring out how to link to it here. I will figure it out when I have more playtime, and maybe even an internet connection in my classroom.

I love GoogleReader, it's where I spend most of my online time nowadays. It makes keeping up with friends' blogs so much easier, and with the feeds collapsed, I can do a quick scan of titles to see if the new posts are worth reading, should be deleted, or are something I will come back to later. I've recently become addicted to making notes on websites using GoogleReaders "Note in Reader" button in my toolbar. It's like a mini-reaction blog, without having to log in and all that business. I love having my feeds in different folders, so I can read just what I'm in the mood for, whether it's teacher stuff or just LOLDogs. I also like being able to view only unread entries, or all entries, either for just one blog or an entire folder. One of my favorite things is that it limits some blogs which are totally awesome but have too darn much on the page (like Cool Cat Teacher) to only post text.

One thing that bothers me is that some of my favorite feeds, like Freakonomics, LifeHacker, and, before I cut it, BBC World News, just have too many updates a day. Then it feels like a chore to look through, sometimes. I cut down to just Freakonomics for news, since I get most of my news on MPR anyway, and switched to LifeHacker Top Feeds, which is still a little heavy but not as bad.

I've learned so much about Web 2.0 and teaching from the blogs I read that it totally rocks my world. I'll start working n a blogroll so you can join the love.

No comments: